Facts about the Victoria Secret Show
Things you should know about the Victoria Secret Show
It’s the final countdown…December 2th the Victoria Secret Show is on again. For the first time in “Victoria history” all the angels are flying to UK, preforming in London. This occasion is really special so I guess it‘s going to be really huge.
I enjoy watching fashion shows from time to time but when it comes to Victoria Secret everybody is getting crazy. Suddenly my Facebook timeline is full of Victoria Secret Models, “Angeljokes” and people watching the show together. You‘re also planning to watch the show but you don‘t really know what’s so special about it? I think you should prepare! Before watching, you have to be informed about some essential VS basics.
Here are 10 facts about the Victoria Secret Show you should definitely know.
1. Victoria Secret is the largest american retailer of lingerie, founded in 1977. At this time the stores were a niche in the underwear market. The lingerie was more burlesque than anything else and got popular very quickly.
2. The company was founded by Roy Raymond. Raymond opened his first Victoria Secret shop in California. The company earned $500,000 in its first year. In 1982 Raymond sold the company for about $1 million to Leslie Wexner. 1993 Raymond committed suicide by jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge.
3. From 1985 – 1993, Victoria Secret sold men’s underwear.
4. The first Victoria Secret fashion show was in 1995. Since it started the budget has grown from $120,000 to $12m.
5. Victoria Secret models have been specially chosen to appeal to women rather than men. The customers are mostly strong and independent woman so the company wants models who are charming, down-to-earth and not “bitchy about their beauty.” This time there will be 47 more models on stage.
6. Famous Victoria Secret models are Tyra Banks, Adriana Lima, Marisa Miller, Alessandra Ambrosio, Gisele Bundchen, Cara Delevingne, Jourdan Dunn, Miranda Kerr and Stephanie Seymour. Here is a list of all the models.
7. It’s not easy for a model to get on the Victoria Secret runway. Even the contracted models have to walk the runway before they’re approved for the official show. “The final decision is made by the whole team, sitting at this long table in a room with really harsh lighting and they have to walk towards us and away from us,” says Sophia Neophitou-Apostolou, creative director of the Victoria Secret show. “and it’s incredibly nerve-wracking for them.”
8. Ex-Angel Kylie Bisutti published a book ( I’m no angel ) about her life as a Victoria Secret model.
9. This year is going to be really big. For the first time the show is going to be in London. There will be more models than ever (47 this year, 40 in 2013). Ariana Grade and Taylor Swift are going to preform on stage. More than 185 countries will watch this year‘s show. Tickets are hell of expensive. You can buy them for about 12.500,00 € or the aftershow package for 15.000 €. But don‘t worry – like every year you can watch the show on television or live stream online.
10. So there is one big question left: Who is this Victoria in “Victoria’s Secret”? The brand is named after England’s 19th-century monarch, Queen Victoria. (surprise, surprise!)